By Sindy Haman – Bel Esprit Hospital Matron
Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a healthy and fulfilling life, more than being free of illness, it is a dynamic process of change and growth.
Why Wellness Matters?
Maintaining an optimal level of wellness is crucial to live a higher quality of life. Our wellbeing directly affects our actions and emotions. It is important for everyone to achieve optimal wellness in order to subdue stress, reduce the risk of illness and ensure positive interactions.
The Eight Dimensions of Wellness
Each dimension is equally vital in the pursuit of optimal health. One can reach an optimal level of wellness by understanding how to maintain and optimize each of the dimensions of wellness.
- Emotional wellness relates to understanding your feelings and coping effectively with stress.
- Environmental wellness inspires us to live a lifestyle that is respectful of our surrounding.
- Financial wellness involves the process of learning how to successfully manage financial expenses.
- Intellectual wellness involves having an open mind when you encounter new ideas and continuing to expand your knowledge.
- Occupational wellness is about enjoying your occupational endeavors and appreciating your contributions.
- Physical wellness relates to maintaining a healthy body and seeking care when needed.
- Social wellness helps you perform social roles effectively and comfortably and create a support network.
- Spiritual wellness allows you to develop a set of values that help you seek meaning and purpose.
Why is Wellness Important?
An enhanced quality of physical and mental fitness is the answer to your question, “Why is health and wellness so important?”
Work toward a state of wellbeing and you will see your lifestyle begin to improve. Care for mind, body and spirit and begin to lessen the occurrences of disease and illness.